Dr. Edwards' Blog
Tooth Tips for Toddlers -- February 22, 2016
Since February is National Children's Dental Health Month, we want to share some important tips for toddlers on how you can help keep their teeth and gums clean and get them on the right track for a lifetime of good oral hygiene.
1. Children need to brush their teeth every day with fluoride toothpaste. Small children should use a very thin layer of toothpaste. Children 2 and older, should use just a pea-sized amount. Younger children might tell you they want to brush their own teeth, go ahead and let them, but be sure you finish the job at least until they're about six years old.
2. Don't spread germs by sharing cups or spoons.
3. Limit sugar. It can lead to bacteria that can turn acidic and eat away at the enamel and cause tooth decay.
4. Stop letting children fall asleep with a bottle. Juices and even milk contain sugar that can cause cavities.
5. Discourage thumb sucking at about age 3. It can be a very comforting to younger babies. But when children constantly suck their thumbs or a pacifier, it can affect the alignment of their teeth and the development of their jaws.
6. Visit the dentist beginning at age 1 and twice a year after that. Not only will they learn good oral hygiene from professionals, they'll become accustomed to going to the dentist and hopefully avoid dental anxiety later in life.
If you're looking for a great pediatric dentist who can get your children started on the right track in dentistry, we recommend Dr. Jim Burchett. He works here at Optima Dental Group and is Franklin County's only trained pediatric dentist. And we're proud to say that St. Louis Magazine awarded Dr. B (as we call him) "Top Dentist" for six years in a row. Dr. B is accepting new patients, so call today to schedule your child's appointment.
And we know that once you meet him and see his gentle demeanor with children and parents, you'll wish you could have had Dr. B as your dentist growing up!
Home | Our Spirit of Caring | Why Choose Us? | Our Services | Meet Our Doctors
Dental Library | Initial Visit | Contact Us
© 2009 optimadentalgroup. All Rights Reserved